My MatExp – Thoughts on Leadership, resilience and change

(June 2015)

While on this final count down to qualification, I recently sat an exam for the module ‘Leadership’. When I saw this title on the timetable for third year I will admit to feeling a bit confused. I equated leadership with being in charge of people but it turns out I was confusing leadership with management and while one person can be both a leader and a manager, not all managers are leaders and not all leaders are in any sort of management position.

MatExp

I have been surprised by how gripped I have been by this notion of leadership at every level and then reading about Maternity Experience 2015 (#MatExp) as well as the amazing ROAR book (Byrom & Downe 2015) has really brought it to life for me so I thought I would put together my thoughts on leadership and how I intend to ACT in June and beyond.

My revision led me to realise that true leadership is significant in every part of professional and personal life. Mullins (2009) described leadership as a relationship through which one person influences the behaviour and actions of other people in the accomplishment of a common goal. This reorganisation of the concept of leadership as a relationship rather than always possessing an element of seniority means that all of us are free to realise our potential for change.

The NHS Leadership Model provides a clear outline of the kind of transformational leadership which has the ability to change the face of healthcare as we know it. I felt that as models went, it was clear and offered much food for thought, going as far as breaking down how you can meet the ‘dimensions’ aims as well as demonstrate ‘exemplary’ behaviours.
Consider for a moment any ‘baggage’ you (we) might carry about poor previous leaders, ideas from managers for improvement which didn’t quite work out. Hurt and disillusionment are barriers to us achieving potential in our personal and professional lives, developing resilience is essential and is the ability to cope with and respond positively to trying circumstances (Hunter and Warren). Resilience and a good understanding of leadership allows you to put yourself in the driving seat as a catalyst for improvement in the care you are a part of, the atmosphere of the team around you and your own wellbeing. I believe that strong manager-leaders are still fundamental for the success of and maintenance of change however I also believe firmly in this relationship, that it is a two way street and I have an equal opportunity to contribute to the success. Without my contribution, the improvement will not reach it’s full potential.

In order to frame my action for June then, I have picked out a couple of the dimensions from the NHS Leadership Model and thought about how I intend to behave, to influence not only my circle of immediate influence (my cohort and the midwifery team I am mentored within) but consequently the women and families in our care.

Leading with Care – Taking responsibility for my own emotional wellbeing (developing resilience) by ensuring I give myself time to reflect as well as relax and recharge. Respond with empathy and carrying out random (and genuine) acts of kindness in my circle of influence. By doing this I help to spread a caring and kind environment.

Evaluating Information – Actively look at the evidence which underpins my practice.
Keeping in my mind’s eye the goal of evidence based, woman centred practice. Rekindle the notebook I used to carry around all the time to remind myself to look up a topic which caught my attention while working. To regain and maintain curiosity in my midwifery life and not accepting the status quo,. By doing this sensitively with my mentors I am doing my bit in rekindling their curiosity.

As a third year student midwife I do currently feel under a tremendous amount of pressure to complete the mountain of things required prior to qualification, and then no doubt as a newly qualified midwife this pressure will continue as I look toward achieving my band 6. However my hope is to not lose sight of this potential, regardless of my position in the NHS hierarchy, to influence positively, and therefore lead in change and an improvement in the maternity experience of women, their families and community. By doing these things I am striving to become, ultimately, the sort of midwife who sort of ‘shines’ (Byrom and Downe 2010).

References

Byrom, S and Downe, S (2010) She sort of shines’: midwives’ accounts of ‘good’ midwifery and ‘good’ leadership. Midwifery. 26(1):126-137
Byrom, S and Downe, S. Eds. (2015) The Roar Behind the Silence: Why kindness, compassion and respect matter in maternity care. Pinter & Martin
Hunter, B and Warren, L (2013) Investigating Resilience in Midwifery. Final Report. Cardiff University: Cardiff

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boobtastic Media Storm

Getting my Midwifery Hygge On

An update of sorts